Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Giving

As children we are all told "it is the thought that counts" and "it is better to give than receive."

I must say that I agree with some of that, but definitely not all of it. I totally agree that it is better to give than receive. I love to give gifts to others. I like to give "happies" to my friends and co-workers to let them know how valuable they are in my life, and how much I appreciate them. I love giving Christmas gifts and I try to make sure everyone gets something. Madgette and I even packed a cute tin full of goodies for her bus driver. Ms. K (bus driver) looks out for Madgette each and every morning and gets her to school safely- what could be more important? I wanted her to know that we appreciate her. You should have seen Madgette getting on that bus and giving Ms. K her goodies. Madgette even told her she would need to share them with her son. I was cracking up! Her bus driver just laughed and said "Awww, you mean I have to share?" which Madgette loved.

However, I do not always believe that it is "the thought that counts." Now if a person is doing all they can- then I definitely believe that the thought counts. It is the people who can do and don't that really bother me. Maybe I am always broke because if I see a person that needs something and I have any money I will give it to them, or help them out however I can. There are so many people in this world who are so blessed and give nothing to anyone else.

What really blows my mind is how those same people can fool people into thinking that they are so wonderful. How can people like that keep the reputation of a golden child? The only thing I can think is that it must somehow be inter-related with the story of the prodigal son. But in the story of the prodigal son, the son realizes that he has made a mistake and comes to ask forgiveness. The golden children that I am thinking of will never ask forgiveness, or even admit that they have been disrespectful and/or dishonest.

I guess I am done rambling for this evening. Wow- this really is not what I sat down to write, but it sure is what came out!

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Momma Pug said...

Uh oh. I sense an even better back story!

You'll be happy to know that I am still stilling on tires. Its 4:22 a.m. and I have just found an emergency care place that I will going to at promptly 8 a.m.

Barbara said...

For a young woman you have great wisdom. I too am a giver. It's easier to give than to receive (at least for me!!) and I have raised a family of givers! How sad for those that don't know that JOY!! For that they will receive their reward some day!! [And as "Momma Pug" says, I too sense an even better back story!!] And don't forget you are always welcome to stay here in our home!!!