Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Astros Rock!

So Madgette and I went to the exhibition game Friday night and had an absolute blast- the wind was super cold, but it was a great game. We even got to stay and watch the Friday night fireworks which were amazing. Madgette decided her new hobby would be to collect all the really cool hard plastic Astros cups that she passed, so we came home with a collection of about 12 new cups. That's fine because they hold a lot and I take one to school almost every day.
Madgette was proud of her Carlos Lee jersey! She got it signed and authenticated.

We got home and to bed about 11, then Julie and I got up at 3 a.m. to go sit in line for Astros fanfest. (click the link to see a picture)

Madgette with her hero... well at least a cutout...

Madgette wanted to meet her hero Carlos Lee. She was able to come later in the morning, and was super excited about meeting him. When she got in line she started doing a little dance with a cheer for Carlos. Momma Pug and I shamelessly bribed the child to do her cheer in front of Mr. Lee. Well, she got up to him and he actually danced with her and gave her a high five before he signed her jersey. The whole event maybe took a minute, but she was so excited when it was over that she couldn't talk. For those of you who know Madgette well, you will understand why this is such a momentous time. I do have a video of this performance but I am having trouble uploading it. If I can figure it out I will load it- it is so cute!

Carlos Lee signing autographs

Later she talked the Mark Up into letting her go with him to see her number 2 favorite player- Lance Berkman. She was able to get him to autograph a baseball for her along with the other 3 players at his table. She continued getting players autographs throughout the day and now her ball probably has 10-12 different signatures on it. The Mark Up even introduced her to Jimmy Wynn, and Mr. Wynn gave her an autograph!

Madgette with dos los Caballitos

Momma Pug signed Madgette up for the Astros buddies program which is endorsed by Berkman. With the sign up you get a discount on certain game tickets, an Astros Buddies hat, and a Berkman jersey look alike backback. When Madgette was getting all the goodies she looked at the salesperson with a dead pan straight face and asked, "Do you have a backpack that says Lee?" to which Momma Pug and I just about bust.

We got face painting, balloon animals made, ate ballpark food, met players, and even made a wax hand. Madgette was exhausted by the time the game actually started, but Julie had never attended a baseball game so we stayed for the game. Julie was amazed at all the people, and I had to explain a lot to her but she really enjoyed it. We stayed until the 8th inning (you just can't leave before the 7th inning stretch) and then headed home. By this point Madgette was so tired she was past the point of friendliness. I must admit I was getting there myself-- we had been at the park for the last 12 hours!



This is a picture that shows how tired she is- a fake smile and an expression like "Mom, can I just eat my popcorn?"

2 comments:

Pat J said...

Wow! what a day...you just needed "Busy" along for the ride!

Barbara said...

That sounds like the most perfect day! I can get myself into some baseball now. And have I ever told you I am a real "groupy"--doesn't matter to whom--just the word "groupy" makes me happy! Take care!!