Monday, August 11, 2008

A Day in the Life of an American Newcomer

Well folks, we are live from the great city of Houston, TX tonight with an update on Foreign Exchange 08-09. She arrived Sunday, and after many trips on the underground train and some horrible directions from airport staff we finally found her. Julie (names have been changed to protect the innocent) was exhausted but excited about being in the U.S.A. (can we blame her?) and Madgette was equally as excited to meet her "big sister."
We came home, she unpacked, and we ate an early dinner. The poor thing went to bed at 5 pm much to the dismay of Madgette who at her young age was quick to point out that it was still daylight. In her book that means we do not go to bed. Julie slept until 8 am this morning, and was still tired. We went out to lunch with my colleagues then one of my newest great friends, Tree, met us at the high school where I was supposed to be doing some training. She gave Julie the grand tour and showed her where all the things of importance were located. I think it was all a bit overwhelming for our exchange student who went back to the home of our friend Tree and took a nap.
Upon my arrival Madgette was quick to volunteer for the job of waking her slumbering big sister. After a quick update on the baby (which was all good) we headed towards home. Both girls slept all the way home, then came in and Julie went back to bed. We let her sleep for another 30 minutes and then woke her up to go to Taekwondo. After class was over, we made our thrice weekly trip next door to the Goodwill and I made my greatest discovery yet. I found a Gail Pittman pasta bowl in my pattern for $3.99. Those of you who are from Mississippi will understand the greatness of this find. For those of you not from MS, let me clue you in. This bowl was created, hand signed and originally at least $40. It was in perfect condition! Woo-hoo!

This evening we have watched a movie and both girls have had showers, hugs, and been sent off or tucked in bed. Now I guess it is time to clean up, and head to bed myself. Another successful day behind us!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

What a wonderful day!! I hope your student enjoys everything--and how could she not--having your for a surrogate Mom!!