Sunday, August 17, 2008

Our latest fiasco


Tonight we came home from dinner with our good friends Momma Pug, The Aggie, Catfish, and Phruitz to an unusual sound in our shed. It was the sound of one very hungry kitten, and the silence of three other kittens who were to weak to make much noise.
We gathered them all up and then made a Wal-Mart run to pick up kitten formula and rushed back home. We attempted to feed them all. Julie and I had the most luck getting some of the kittens to eat. We have named one of them "Big Mouth" which is the noisy little guy who alerted us to their presence. Julie has named the black kitten "Hug" because she/he/it loves to cuddle. The other two remain nameless for the time being.
Did I mention their mom died 2 days ago? She joined our family because she jumped into my engine and rode home with me almost a year ago- but she never did let us touch her- just let us feed her. She always stayed at least 3 feet away from us at all times. We knew she was dead when we were able to walk right up to her. We had not told Madgette about the death in hopes that we could just avoid the topic all together. So guess what other conversation we were lucky enough to have tonight?
Now I feel like we will be awake every few hours bottle feeding little babies. Wish us strength and luck- I think they are going to need it!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Sorry about Mama Kitty! I spend my times four times a day feeding a baby deer. I have bottle fed so many that it is second nature to me now. I have also fed squirrels, a skunk, and baby goats. So far no dogs or kittens.