Monday, January 19, 2009

Hello Doc!

For the first time today I am sitting up and somewhat coherent. I have had pain in my lower stomach area since Friday night. Saturday is kept hurting, but not to bad. Sunday was a whole other ballgame. I felt like my uterus was about to fall out everytime I got up to walk. By Sunday night, I was ocassionally double over by stabbing pain. The Razorback decided it was time to make me go to the ER. We went to the one closest to our house, but as we drove up we could see that it was absolutely packed, so we made the decision to go to the next closest ER which was in Kingwood. We pulled up and thought, "Great, this one only has a few people! We will get in here pretty quickly!"

Well, to make a long story short, 5 hours later we made it back to see a Doctor. I had finally laid down on 2 chairs pushed together and the Razorback gave me his jacket to use as a pillow and secured me a heated blanket. When they finally came out and called us, the Razorback woke me up and we moved to a bed. The nurse named Joel was very nice, and gave me a freshly warmed blanket. We were able to watch the 3 a.m. version of "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" and a odd little doctor came in. I tell you- this Dr. could not have been any older that 26- he was a child.
He came in and says, " Hello, pyelonephritis my name is Dr. McLaughlin" and shakes my hand. He finally broke it down to say that everyone has a little bacteria in their kidneys, but mine looked like the salmon trying to swim upstream. The bacteria had gotten from the urinary tract and infected both kidneys. I will save the graphic details as they were a little gross.
They hooked me up to an IV and blasted me with a bag of fluid, a seriously strong antibiotic, an awesome pain medicine, and an anti-nausea medicine to back up something else.
They released me this morning around 6 with strict instructions to see my primary care physician in 2 days and if it was not cleared up to pack my bags to be admitted to the hospital. Also, if I got really bad again before the primary care visit to report back for admittance.

So, I have spent most of the day passed out on the couch. My family has kept going today as normal- filling prescriptions, etc. I know the Razorback is exhausted. He needs to go to bed. I love him very much and am very thankful I have him to take care of me. I think we will all go to bed early tonight, because we are all supposed to go back to school tomorrow.
Just another day in the life of the Madge...and a Half family.

4 comments:

Chonda said...

Follow dr orders...sickness is around everywhere. Take care! But I'm sure this made you forget about your SI in your back?!? Ok not funny! But you know what I mean

Momma Pug said...

I swear to GOD. If you don't start taking care of yourself I'm going to be beat you senseless. I can't have my Madgey all sick. It breaks my heart.

whirlwind.jenn said...

Hope you start feeling well soon! I'll keep you in my prayers!

-'Ms. Jennifer'

Barbara said...

I have said there is never a dull moment around Cotton Branch but honestly, I think you have us beat. Graham broke his leg on Sunday and I have a torn MCL. I seriously hope you get better VERY SOON!! I don't know if I could come out and take care of you right now!!